Have you ever faced challenges to complete a simple task? Well we all know how moody we become and always wait for the last moment to hit the deadlines. This simple phenomenon can be referred to as procrastination where we just keep pushing the days and hours to delay the tasks as much as we can and then rush on it at the last moment, and is quite important to know everyone that how to deal with Procrastination. Sometimes, the time might become a savior or it may also lead us to negative consequences.
“ putting off the important tasks by delaying actions for later is known as procrastination’’
As per the ancient greek philosophers, they have marked the term “Procrastination” as “AKRASIA” which is best described as a lack of self control to attain the sense of time and discipline in order to meet deadlines efficiently.
In today’s era, people are lacking in the self-control of emotions and feelings that could cause a serious problem for them. If anyone is feeling the same then he/she need to know how to deal with procrastination.
Table of Contents
How Procrastination & Behavioural Psychology Go Together
Let’s discuss how to deal with procrastination-
Our brain is a collection of an endless number of nerves that influence our actions and behaviors in certain ways. In referring to the psychological aspects related to procrastination or delaying tasks, it can be termed as “time inconsistency”. It usually happens when a human tries to figure out the plans for the future self but the present self reacts according to the present needs.
Let’s understand this with this simple example of a usual process which an individual follows to achieve his/her goals.
Once you decide that you want to hit a goal related to something, you take action step by step gradually reaching towards the goal. The action has to be definitely be taken by an individual and that will only be accomplished through a focused mindset and motivation.
During this process, we sometimes miss our commitments due to instant gratification which leads to delaying the tasks or activities which are crucial at a certain point of time, keep in mind that you know how to deal with procrastination, then only you can get rid off these serious issues.
This is what happens when we delay the tasks and it becomes impossible for us to keep pace with the goals or deadlines which we have set to accomplish something. This is known as procrastination and deal with procrastination is important in a long term.
What are the different types of Procrastination behaviors and how to deal with procrastination?
Studies have defined that procrastination is a part of anxiety which is a disorder that causes negative associations like low self-esteem neurological disorders ie. ADHD. this procrastination behavior is of four types and how to deal with procrastination
- The performer -how to deal with procrastination: this behavior is very common in which a person thinks he works better under pressure.so he shrinks the time and leaves the task for the last minutes.
- The overbooker-how to deal with procrastination: this behavior states the person that he is too busy. It’s just become an excuse for not covering the task on time.
- The novelty seeker-how to deal with procrastination: this behavior states that a person always tries to convince themselves as they are having the best idea. so they waste their time trying their best decisions.
- The self deprecator- how to deal with procrastination: this behavior states that the person is tired but not taking rest and during the task just making excuses for being lazy.
- These are the four basic types of Procrastination that would help you to know how to deal with procrastination.
Simple tips to avoid procrastination and how to deal with procrastination
- learn and make aware others how to deal with procrastination
- Forgive yourself for procrastinating in the past
- Write down the tasks you have been putting off
- Minimize distractions
- Commit to the task
- Promise yourself a reward
- Ask someone to check up on you
- Fight resistance
- Neutralize destructive thinking
- Break it down
- Use positive social pressure
- Enjoy your little steps and win
Points to be noted that can help to know how to deal with procrastination in an easy way.
- Procrastination is one of the crucial aspect to know and learn how to deal with procrastination that would help for the bettement of upcoming life.
- Realize that having things hanging over your head causes stress so just try to do something fruitful.
- don’t say that I am a procrastinator or I always do things at the last minute by saying that you are giving power to that habit just say opposite I am gonna do it now, find the various ways how to deal with procrastination to overcome your serious issues.
- Use the calendar to help yourself, it helps you remind the tasks which you commit.
- Start with the hardest task and make a routine for it, most important is this that you give yourself a reward for every finishing step and win.
- it’s just that you manage your emotions not time because that is the meaning of procrastination.
- if we manage our emotions then we overcome the avoidance and the “I am not doing” feeling.
If you are curious about art therapy and its uses to cure mental health then read our latest blog on